Subject: WG Review: Domain Connect (dconn)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2025 10:36:12 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2025-09-25.

Domain Connect (dconn)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Orie Steele <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Orie Steele <[email-masked]>
  Andy Newton <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dconn
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/dconn/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/dconn/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dconn/

The Domain Connect Working Group (WG) is chartered to develop and standardize
the [Domain Connect Protocol](https://www.domainconnect.org/).

Domain Connect is an application-level protocol that enables Service
Providers to request configuration of required DNS records in their
customers’ zones in order to integrate their products. The protocol has
notable adoption among both DNS and Service Providers.

The Working Group acknowledges that Domain Connect is "a deployed technology
for which protecting the installed base is essential, including retention of
core interoperability," as described in Section 4 of RFC 7221. Accordingly,
the WG will prioritize stability and backward compatibility, and will avoid
changes that could break existing implementations or deployments. The working
group may make breaking changes to address critical security issues.

The WG will use
[draft-kowalik-domainconnect](https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kowalik-domainconnect/)
as the starting point for its work.

The scope of the WG’s activities includes:

* Ensuring that the specification is precise and provides clear guidance for
implementers. * Addressing any ambiguities, inconsistencies, or issues
identified within the current draft. * Producing a comprehensive document
suitable for publication as a Standards Track RFC.

The WG will coordinate with the OAUTH working group to ensure the security
considerations of the Domain Connect Protocol are well-defined.

The WG is not chartered to develop functional extensions, new features, or
additional use cases for the Domain Connect Protocol. If such needs arise
during the course of the WG's work, rechartering will be required.

### Deliverables

* A Standards Track document(s) specifying the Domain Connect Protocol.

Milestones:

  Jun 2026 - Submit the Domain Connect Protocol specification(s) to the
  Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) for publication on Standards
  Track.