Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cookies: HTTP State Management Mechanism' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc6265bis-22.txt)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2025 09:34:02 -0800
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Cookies: HTTP State Management Mechanism'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc6265bis-22.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the HTTP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gorry Fairhurst and Mike Bishop.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc6265bis/

Technical Summary

   This document defines the HTTP Cookie and Set-Cookie header fields.
   These header fields can be used by HTTP servers to store state
   (called cookies) at HTTP user agents, letting the servers maintain a
   stateful session over the mostly stateless HTTP protocol.  Although
   cookies have many historical infelicities that degrade their security
   and privacy, the Cookie and Set-Cookie header fields are widely used
   on the Internet.  This document obsoletes RFC 6265.

Working Group Summary

The working group (WG) consensus represent broad agreement: we had broad 
participation, especially from implementers.

There was no controversy about particular points or decisions where the consensus 
was particularly rough. We used a process where major changes required a separate
draft to be adopted and achieve consensus before we incorporated them.

Document Quality

   There are a few existing implementation of the specification.
There has been participation from members of the WHATWG, which is the most
relevant body.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Mark Nottingham. The
   Responsible Area Director is Francesca Palombini.