[ietf-meetings] ietf-meetings: accounting for vis requirements ? (was: Re: [102attendees] [103attendees] Visa problems - need a different) invitation letter

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 05 September 2018 13:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 15:13:27 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Mike Bishop <mbishop@evequefou.be>, ietf-meetings@ietf.org
Subject: [ietf-meetings] ietf-meetings: accounting for vis requirements ? (was: Re: [102attendees] [103attendees] Visa problems - need a different) invitation letter

Bcc'in original lists and moving my followup question to ietf-meetings:

What exactly is the current vetting process of IETF meeting locations
vs.  visa requirements ?

This original mail thread made a lot of noise wrt. to whether or not
one could attend ietf103 with just visa-waiver (lots of countries
qualify), and participants still seem to be unsure whether even web
pages from the thai ministry that conference attendees qualify for visa-free
entry as tourists could be believed, and fear was raised on could be
thrown into jail for many years randomnly when doing so.

I personally think there is some hyperventilation going on and
"cover-your-behind", and feel myself quite safe to enter thailand as a
tourist to attend IETF103.

Indeed, actually found the non-existing official guidance to the same
effect in Argentina quite non-existing and therefore irritating and would
have expected that it should not be difficult for an international conference
like IETF to extract some statement from the appropriate ministry in the destination
country as to the rules of using visa-free entry when attending IETF
conference. But seemingly that was not tried back in argentina and/or
even the appropriate ministry there was unable to provide such written
guidance.

In any case: so far i think all IETF allowed AFAIK for the mayority
of attendees to enter the destination country with visa-waver except
Beijing, and it would be lovely if the IETF meeting organization would
do its best to ensure that the conditions for visa waiver are understood
as good as possible. Are there not also some location scouts for new
locations ? Could those not attempt to query this on the border or try
to dig up whoever should be able to answer the question from the
destination country order authorities ?

Cheers
    Toerless