Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Changes to netnews header registrations

Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> Mon, 16 May 2016 08:19 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 09:20:35 +0100
From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
To: Julien ÉLIE <julien@trigofacile.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, ietf-message-headers@ietf.org, usefor@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Changes to netnews header registrations

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your update and confirmation of the affected fields.

TL;DR: I don't propose to recommend the additional changes you suggest as I'm
not seeing that they really contribute to the purpose of the registry (cf.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3864#section-2.2.2).

In slightly more detail, I offer the following reasons:

1. My rationale in suggesting the changes I did was to help keep the registry
reasonably aligned with the relevant IANA considerations RFC sections.  The
additional headers you mention don't appear in the document IANA considerations.

2. With reference to the X-headers you mention, I see little point in adding
new, non-standard headers to the registry simply to indicate they are now
obsolete.  (There could be a case for doing this if they are in widespread use,
but I think that should be a separate discussion, and a new RFC with its own
IANA considerations section. I suspect it's not worth the effort!)

3. The other headers you mention are not substantively changed by RFC 5536: the
restrictions noted are specifically with respect to the netnews protocol, and as
such are not really relevant to the registry purpose.

4. I did consider that "netnews" might be added to the protocol options for the
MIME-version and Content-* header fields you mention, but as they are already
registered as MIME headers that doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose (see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3864#section-2.2.2).

#g