Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Jabber-ID header field

Bruce Lilly <blilly@erols.com> Thu, 28 September 2006 07:21 UTC

From: Bruce Lilly <blilly@erols.com>
To: ietf-message-headers@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Jabber-ID header field
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 03:21:16 -0400

On Tue September 12 2006 16:22, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> The following Internet-Draft defines a header field for encapsulating a
> Jabber Identifier:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-jabberid-03.txt
>
> In accordance with RFC 3864, feedback from this list is requested.

There are several issues with the proposal and with the draft, and I
can suggest a method to avoid the issues.  First, issues with the
draft:

[N.B. I recommend reading to the end of this message before reading
referenced RFCs, as many points may be moot if a different approach,
such as the one suggested near the end of this message, is taken]

1. the draft has apparently been replaced [the URI above results in a 402
   error], so I'll comment on -04
2. See RFC 4249 and its references, paying particular attention to sections
   3.1.1, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.3.1, 3.3.2, 3.3.3, and 3.4.1.  Section 3.4.4 might
   or might not be applicable (it is unclear from the draft).  Some
   specifics:
   a) note that some proposed syntax conflicts with RFC 2822 (e.g. ';' is
      an RFC 2822 "special").
   b) I believe that the peculiarity of use of an obs- construct in a
      proposed new field has already been noted.
   c) the security considerations section seems rather light.
   d) the draft wording could use improvement for clarity and to remove
      ambiguities (e.g. "Message headers are an existing standard"; is that
      supposed to be plural or singular?)

Issues with the proposal per se:

A. [Abstract] "associating the email message or sender with a particular
   Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) address".  Curiously,
   this is not discussed in the body of the draft per se.  Several
   questions:
   a) what exactly does it mean to associate an ID of this type with a
      message?
   b) how does a recipient determine whether an ID is supposed to be
      associated with a message or with "sender"?
   c) given the following snippet of fields from a message, and assuming
      that the ID is supposed to be associated with "sender" rather than
      with the message per se, exactly which mailbox or set of mailboxes
      corresponds to the draft use of the word "sender"?