Re: [Ietf-message-headers] HTTP header registration question

Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Fri, 12 October 2007 07:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:57:04 +0900
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [Ietf-message-headers] HTTP header registration question
Cc: ietf-message-headers@lists.ietf.org

I have just realized that I haven't seen any security issues
for this proposal described or discussed, although I think
that there may be quite some security issues connected to
phishing, which should be carefully analysed and described.

The scenario I'm thinking about is that a phishing site,
rather than as currently having to get the passwords from
the user to its server, and then from there contact the
real server, may be able to list the real server in
an Access-Control header and therewith may be able to
correspond directly between client and real server,
potentially circumventing some security checks that
were in place until now (e.g. a plausability check
for the IP address of the user,...).

Regards,   Martin.s