Re: [ietf-outcomes] "Instances" column

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Sun, 14 February 2010 18:20 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Dave CROCKER' <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, ietf-outcomes@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:21:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [ietf-outcomes] "Instances" column

Hi Dave,

I would like to see more consistency with existing IETF terminology.

RFC2026 defines three levels of standard.
Proposed requires an agreed upon document.
Draft requires implementations.
Standard requires operational experience.

RFC2026 doesn't talk about instances and usage, it talks about
implementations and operational experience.
Your "instances" column is about implementations, but uses different
terminology than is already in use in the IETF.
Your "adoption" column is about operational experience, but uses
different terminology than IETF process.
I would like to see the results wiki use terminology consistent with
our standards process.

I think using terminology consistent with our process would make these
adoption categories much more intuitive to IETF participants, AND to
those who follow the IETF, such as journalists. I think even to an
IETF newbie, the engineering distinction between implementation and
operational experience would be clear; I do not think the distinction
between instances and adoption is very clear.

It would also be nice if somewhere in the "implementation/instances"
page hierarchy, we had pointers to BCP 9 (RFC 5657) "Guidance on
Interoperation and Implementation Reports for Advancement to Draft
Standard", and to specific implementation reports found at
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation-report.html. This might help
encourage implementers to file actual implementation reports.

dbh