Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Wed, 11 June 2014 17:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:04:10 -0400
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: "ietf-privacy@ietf.org" <ietf-privacy@ietf.org>, Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

I agree entirely that defining host identification as a problem
indicates that the authors believe a solution is called for. I also
agree that the privacy impact of solution candidates must be discussed,
including making a concerted effort to mitigate the possibility of those
solution candidates being used for pervasive monitoring purposes. My
point is simply that this draft is not intended to propose solutions or
discuss solution candidates.

RFC6967, which as you note is repeatedly cited, discusses solution
candidates and lays out a framework for privacy discussion related to
solution proposals. Future RFCs that actually propose solutions are
already expected to follow the guidance from RFC6967, and the references
to that RFC in this draft are meant to point to RFC6967 as the
authoritative guidance.

Is there some reason why you do not consider it adequate for this "use
cases" draft to reference the existing and already published "potential
solutions analysis" rfc? What specific content related to privacy and/or
pervasive monitoring belongs in this draft that is not already present
in RFC6967?

Thanks,
--Brandon