Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 11 June 2014 15:26 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:26:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: "ietf-privacy@ietf.org" <ietf-privacy@ietf.org>, Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>, Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] OK.

>> Privacy implications should be assess on a per
>> use case basis
>
>Where do I find the per-use-case analysis of privacy implications?

[Med] The current version cites the generic privacy considerations (RFC6967). Assessing the implications for each use case is in our to do list based on the discussion we had so far. This table (from the draft) shows whether each use case is restricted to a given administrative domain to it spans multiple ones.

    +-------------------+------+-------------+-----------------------+
    |      Use Case     | IPv4 |    IPv6     | Single Administrative |
    |                   |      |------+------|       Domain          |
    |                   |      |Client|Server|                       |
    +-------------------+------+------+------+-----------------------+
    |        CGN        |  Yes |Yes(1)|  No  |         No            |
    |        A+P        |  Yes |  No  |  No  |         No            |
    | Application Proxy |  Yes |Yes(2)|Yes(2)|         No            |
    |   Provider Wi-Fi  |  Yes |  No  |  No  |        Yes            |
    |        PCC        |  Yes |Yes(1)|  No  |        Yes            |
    |     Femtocells    |  Yes |  No  |  No  |         No            |
    | Cellular Networks |  Yes |Yes(1)|  No  |        Yes            |
    |  Overlay Networks |  Yes |Yes(3)|Yes(3)|         No            |
    |  Emergency Calls  |  Yes | Yes  |Yes   |         No            |
    |        TDF        |  Yes | Yes  |  No  |        Yes            |
    |        FMC        |  Yes |Yes(1)|  No  |         No            |

[Med] Here is a solution that can be used for a use case described in the draft: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-radext-ip-port-radius-ext-00#section-4.2. As you can see, there is no identifier revealed in actual IP packets issued by the connected host ;-)