Re: [ietf-privacy] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 05 June 2014 13:41 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:40:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "ietf-privacy@ietf.org" <ietf-privacy@ietf.org>, "Zuniga, Juan Carlos" <JuanCarlos.Zuniga@InterDigital.com>
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] NAT Reveal / Host Identifiers

Re-,

I have two comments:

(1)

If one missed the following sentences in -04 "Below is listed as set of requirements to be used to characterize
   each use case (discussed in Section 3):" and "Once this list is stabilized, each use case will be checked against
   these requirements.", then the requirements list can be seen as odd. I agree the wording is not so that clear. The initial intent was to identify the ones from the list that apply for each use case. That effort was abandoned in -05 to focus on the description of the use cases where problems are encountered.

(2)

Privacy concerns are not ignored. A section is present in the draft to recall some privacy-related issues: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios-05#section-15. If there are other concerns not already covered, it will be relay helpful to explicit them.

The document does not include any solution discussion but focuses only on the description of deployment use cases where problems are encountered.

Cheers,
Med