Re: [ietf-smtp] smtp improvement?

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 14 September 2020 21:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:04:21 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: iloveemail2 <iloveemail2@protonmail.com>
cc: ietf-smtp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] smtp improvement?

To add to Brandon's and Dave's comments, think about the
interactions between what you propose and tunneling SMTP over
TLS, which is the preferred conventional wisdom and between it
and relay situations.  As they suggested, it is not clear what
problem you are trying to solve and if it would actually solve
it without making other things worse.

I also question your assertion about "most SMTP servers".  Had
you said that most SMTP traffic is handed by servers in big data
centers, etc., I'd guess you might be right.  But there are
still a very large number of servers out there supporting only a
since enterprise, one that might be a SOHO environment, probably
more than enough to more than outnumber those large servers and,
in most cases, associated cloud and/or cluster arrangements.

   john

--On Friday, August 14, 2020 17:59 +0000 iloveemail2