Re: [ietf-smtp] TLS1.3

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> Wed, 06 May 2020 00:04 UTC

From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com>
To: ietf-smtp@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 20:03:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] TLS1.3

Viktor Dukhovni writes:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 06:02:13PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > > It emits a fatal "unexpected message" alert.  Turn off the
> > > client-cert request, and it works fine.
> > >
> > > Name withheld to protect the guilty.
> >
> > I wouldn't necessarily blame the operator. It's almost a sure bet that
> > they're using OpenSSL, and this developer's opinion is that OpenSSL is one
> > of the worst, most confusing, and the most poorly documented API libraries
> > in existence.
>
> I are of course free to vent, but on this particular issue the
> frustration is misdirected.  The OpenSSL TLS client silently ignores
> solications for client certificates when none are configured at the
> client.  It is up to the server to then accept or deny the handshake.
> [ Rare applications that want to select certificates dynamically can
> register for a callback, but then the decisions are theirs to make. ]

So after reading the following:

# When a certificate was set using the SSL_CTX_use_certificate(3) family of
# functions, it will be sent to the server. The TLS standard requires that
# only a certificate is sent, if it matches the list of acceptable CAs sent by
# the server. This constraint is violated by the default behavior of the
# OpenSSL library.

This appeared to me like a client that was configured with a certificate for
some other host, but sending it in error, here, and the server rejecting the
connection for that reason.

Problematic TLS implementation have been quite common, historically. For a
long time I was seeing frequently TLS-related misconfigurations with SMTP
servers. I lost count how many servers I saw advertising STARTTLS but
choking when taken up on their offer:

220 poorly-configured-server.example.com ESMTP
EHLO hythere
250-poorly-configured-server.example.com Ok.
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250 DSN
STARTTLS
450 Not now, maybe someday.

At one point I had to carefully implement an adaptive, transient TLS
blacklist: ignore the server's STARTTLS if you have a prior record of the
server failing to negotiate a TLS connection.

> > Things
> > have reached the stage where it's been determined that the OpenSSL library
> > is reporting an error code that its own documentation describes thusly:
> >
> >       SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL
> >           Some non-recoverable, fatal I/O error occurred. The OpenSSL error
> >           queue may contain more information on the error. For socket I/O
> on
> >           Unix systems, consult errno for details.
> >
> > And, immediately after that, the code in question does "consult errno", and
> > finds that it's zero. No error has occured, according to the operating
> > system.
>
> This is likely TLS session termination without a TLS close notify, i.e.
> potentially vulnerable to truncation attacks.  An empty read on EOF does
> not set errno.  In OpenSSL 1.1.1e there was a fix for that, to make it
> an SSL_ERROR_SSL, but that turned to have too many backwards compatibility
> issues, so it got rolled back in 1.1.1f.

I did not find this called out in the documentation, just a blanket
statement: check errno, here's your error. This behavior was observed not
with an active connection, but in a middle of a handshake, inside
SSL_accept. The connection failed with no other indication of what the issue
was. I'm too lazy to dig into openssl's source, but it seems that SSL_accept
uses BIO_read, where "no data was successfully read or written if the result
is 0 or -1". Then the default BIO_should_retry returns an indication
calculated as follows: the read or write failed with -1 and errno was EAGAIN
or EWOULDBLOCK. A closed socket connection (obviously) does not meet that
criteria.

So, I surmised that SSL_accept was likely calling BIO_read, and if it
returns 0 or -1 BIO_should_retry gets called; and SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ if so,
otherwise it must be SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL. And in this sequence, I was getting
an SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL but errno remained unset. I could not see how this was
documented behavior, from any public documentation.