Re: [ietf-types] Update to text/html registration

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Thu, 09 August 2012 22:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 14:58:30 -0700
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
To: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Cc: ietf-types@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Update to text/html registration

> Michael, Ned,

> >> Are those important just for HTML and XHTML, or are there other formats
> >> which would benefit from having those defined as part of their
> >> registrations?
> >
> > They probably are.

> Thus far, I have been monitoring the list and suggested this when it appeared to make sense. Sometimes, media-types seem to be too specific to be entering a clipboard.

> HTML and its cousins are clearly good candidates to live in the clipboard!

> >> If those would be useful or other formats, I'd suggest the guidelines for
> >> media-type registrations be updated to suggest including them for all
> >> registrations.
> >
> > I'm afraid it is a little late for that. The media types registration
> > were just updated. Had this been proposed during the updating process (which
> > took over a years), I can pretty much guarantee it would have been included,
> > but the document is now final and it's too late.

> Ned, is there another list I should monitor to see discussion of another
> round of update of this recommendation?

Aside from monitoring the main IETF list for new drafts pertaining to media
types, not really. As I said, the latest update is done and about to be
published. It will almost certainly be a year - and quite possibly longer -
before another update is contemplated. If and when that happens there is really
no way to predict when or where the discussion occur.

> (as indicated elsewhere, I'd also suggest that the Macintosh 4-letter type be
> dropped)

As a practical matter, that's really not possible since existing registrations
include it and so it has to be described. That said, it was relegated to an
much less prominent role in the revision.

				Ned