Re: [ietf-types] Q's regarding development of +json media types

mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com> Fri, 01 October 2010 04:57 UTC

Sender: mca@amundsen.com
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:58:09 -0400
From: mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: "ietf-types@ietf.org" <ietf-types@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Q's regarding development of +json media types

<snip>
> It seems like there's no name he can use when starting out that will
> continue to be sensible years down the road, if the type becomes widely
> adopted, perhaps being blessed by a standards body.  Is that the state
> of the art, that you just have to plan to change the media type at some
> point?
</snip>

Yes, AFAIK, that is correct. If you want it blessed by the standards
body, you need to use a name in the standards tree and go through the
standards process.

While I can't speak from experience (surely there are others on this
list who can), I suspect a valid pattern to follow is to register a
"prs" or "vnd" media type id (as appropriate to your circumstance) and
then, as things get popular, adopt a new standards-level media type id
and register that one separately.

This process will result in two media types, one of which can
eventually be deemed "Obsolete [2] (since registered types cannot be
deleted).

FWIW, I left out the doc's reference to the "x." and "x-" facets[1]
which might appeal to some despite the "discouragement" voiced in the
doc. I've seen new media types adopted using this "x" pattern by both
persons and vendors.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.4
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-10

mca