Re: TSVART review of draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Mon, 29 August 2016 22:15 UTC

Subject: Re: TSVART review of draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation
To: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>, 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:14:56 -0700
Cc: "tsv-art@ietf.org" <tsv-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation@ietf.org, Transport Area <tsv-area@ietf.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi, Fernando,

On 8/29/2016 3:05 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 08/28/2016 01:33 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Hi, Fernando,
>>
>> First, I'd like to note something more important about this doc - the
>> abstract itself argues that this change should update the core IPv6
>> spec. Given that is already well underway, why is this document even
>> needed?
> The document says it clearly: "documenting the
>    motivation for removing this functionality in the revision of the
>    core IPv6 protocol specification."
>
> You just don't remove a feature from a spec silently, without a
> rationale. And the place to include the rationale wasn't rfc2460bis --
> hence this dcument.

I don't agree. RFC2460bis should not need a roadmap to explain all of
the associated changes and their rationales. That should be in 2460bis.

Otherwise, changes need to be made incrementally - that's a lot of extra
load on the IETF and a lot of complexity to figure out why things are
the way the end up.

>>> RFC 6145 has been revised as RFC7915.
>> The second sentence of this draft cites 6145. You raise a good point,
>> but given 7915 obsoletes 6145 (rather than updating it), all references
>> throughout should then refer to 7915 instead.
> Not really. We're documenting why this feature is being removed -- hence
> there's a place for referencing RFC6145 ("state of affairs before any
> updates") and RFC7915.
>
> All references to RFC6145 are of the form "legacy translators", or
> "RFC6145 was...".

I don't think it's useful to refer in this doc to a spec that is already
obsoleted.

This is further reason why it's not useful to issue separate change
docs. It gets confusing as to what you're arguing and why.

>>> The document concludes that the translator should create IPv4 IDs rather
>>> mmm.. not sure I follow. When we refer to ECMP in Section 3 we're
>>> actually describing the only possible scenario in which relying on the
>>> ID in the Frag Header could be of use (i.e., possibly result in lower
>>> collision rates).
>> I'm not speaking of when the ID in the Frag Header can be useful. I'm
>> speaking of other more likely cases where using the low 16 bits of the
>> IPv6 ID field can generate IPv4 collisions.
> So you argue in favor of adding an extra bullet noting that RFC2460 does
> not require the lower 16 bits to be unique? (just double-checking). If
> so, fine with me.

Yes - specifically, 2460 does not require that the lower 16 bits of the
ID are generated in a way that would comply with the expectations of
using just those bits for IPv4.

>>> Not sure what you mean.
>>>
>>> We're not implying that packets employing FH are an attack. FWIW, I
>>> don't personally think so. We do think that, when employing
>>> fragmentation, you open the door to a number of attack vectors. See
>>> e.g., Section 5 of draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-03.txt.
>> Some of the attacks described are based on the widespread dropping of a
>> valid IPv6 packet with valid IPv6 extension headers.
>>
>> IMO, it is important to be clear that this makes users of a legitimate
>> IPv6 capability vulnerable because of incorrect behavior of routers.
> 1) The attack I referenced is just one possible attack. If you employ
> fragmentation, an atacker could just send forged packets meant to cause
> collisions of frag IDs such that your packets are dropped -- clearly
> employing an extra feature (as in this case), creates an attack vector.
There are many possible attacks but you focus on the one where routers
drop packets because they have frag EHs.

> 2) The bahavior in routers is a policy. We may not like it. BUt it's a
> policy, not incorrect behavior.
EHs are not optional in RFC2460. Dropping because you see them is not
policy - it forces the router to fail to support a required feature of IPv6.

>> It
>> seems important to remind readers that the real issue here is the
>> non-compliant routers. If that information isn't present, it implies
>> that it is the use of the EHs that is incorrect and should be avoided in
>> general. That's impossible for fragmentation - it is a critical
>> capability without which tunneling cannot exist.
> Fragmentation has been considered harmful for ages.

And is finally being understood as fundamentally necessary for tunneling.

>  And yes, we're
> saying that if you *do not need it*, you shouldn't use it.
Yes, if you don't need tunnels, you shouldn't use them either, but that
doesn't mean tunnels shouldn't be used in general.

>>> I see your point. Any suggestion on how to tweak the text?
>> It depends on what you know. AFAICT, we have no information on this
>> issue. If that's the case, then the text should just state the impact on
>> such links and say that "there is no evidence yet as to the prevalence
>> of their use".
> I'll talk to my co-authors about this one.

AOK.

Thanks,
Joe