Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Wed, 03 February 2016 23:53 UTC

Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>, ietf@ietf.org
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 15:53:06 -0800

On 2/3/2016 2:33 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I think it is super-important that someone on the IAB is following
> those matters closely.  What is not clear to me is why it needs to be
> the_chair_.

The word "following" is the essential disparity.  It casts the IAB's
role as basically passive monitoring.  Note, however, that there have
already been some comments about the need for real-time decision-making.
  That's not 'following'.

(In case it hasn't been mentioned, this is at least the second time
there has been an effort to replace the IAB Chair's ex-officio role with
a surrogate.  Arguably, there have been at least two.  One was de facto,
with the surrogate having 'guest' role in the IAOC.  The second was an
actual proposal.)

The current proposal offers odd motivations.  The logic offered in
Section 3 of the draft mostly reduces to "the IAB chair is busy" and
"IAB programs have been useful, so let's invoke that model for an
operational management position"...

One question is, among the range of activities an IAB Chair does, what
makes IAOC participation sufficiently low priority to warrant handing it
to someone else?

Worse, the proposal seems to think that an IAB committee doing review is
somehow equivalent to one, continuing, deeply knowledge person actually
/participating/ in the IAOC's decision-making.  (That, at least, is what
Section 2 of the draft opens with, noting the designation of a program
'lead' as the sitting IAOC member, almost as an after-thought.)

There is an real dilemma here -- and maybe more than one -- and
resolving it/them requires some care.

The job of overseeing administrative activity for an organization isn't
all that sexy, but the organization dies if it isn't done properly.  So
choices for who to have in positions on the committee should attend to
background and skillset.  This is an operations job and operations is
different from design or development.

Start with the question:  Why were the IAOC/Trust originally formulated
with the ex-officio voting members?  I believe the answer is what has
already been noted in this thread:  each one of those folk carry deep
context.  Deeper than most surrogates are likely to have. With great
regularity, IAOC decisions really do require quite a bit of context and
quite a bit of community-oriented thinking. The I* Chairs aren't the
only ones embodying those attributes, but they are the only ones
embodying them reliably.

Then note that having such a high percentage of the IAOC be the
overloaded ex-officio folk means that there are precious few
alternatives for IAOC chair or IETF Trust chair, or for leading
IAOC-based activities.

My suggestion a few years back, after being on the IAOC for awhile, was
to keep the ex-officio folk on tap, for their knowledge, but move them
to non-voting positions, and then specify 3 other folk to do the voting.
(I think this matches St. John's current suggestion.)  In effect, that's
a superset of what's being put forward here, but then it's trying to
respond to multiple issues.  My proposal was dismissed as resulting in
too many people on the IAOC/Trust. After repeatedly watching the
challenge of getting candidates for IAOC and Trust chairs and for active
IAOC member participation in efforts, I'll offer that it's better to
have a reasonable-sized pool of active participants.

(As for the draft's form:  An effort to make changes here should
certainly separate the process of populating the IAOC from any internal
steps taken within any of the bodies feeding bodies to the IAOC.)

> I think the IETF Chair slot is a different matter. Yes, the IETF
> Chair is also the IESG Chair, but I don't believe s/he is in the IAOC
> on behalf of the IESG.

The concept that any voting member of the IAOC is 'representing' anyone
other than the entire IETF strikes me as odd and during my time on the
IAOC I don't recall anyone appearing to have a more narrow focus of concern.

> I think the ISOC President slot is also a different matter, and a
> bit tricky. I don't think we can declare our "funding agency" to be
> a non-voting member.

Arguably, they shouldn't be voting members, but then neither should
anyone on staff.  In both cases, having a vote invites potential
conflict of interest situations.  (Reminder:  CoI is about the
/potential/ for conflict in goals from the organizational positions;
it's not about specific people.)

And just to offer some variety: the ISOC and staff representatives often
are the only ones with much direct management experience...

d/