Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-decade-ni-07.txt> (Naming Things with Hashes) to Proposed Standard

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Mon, 25 June 2012 10:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:35:33 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-decade-ni-07.txt> (Naming Things with Hashes) to Proposed Standard
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hello Stephen, others,

On 2012/06/23 6:20, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I went back through the IETF LC comments and think that we've
> resolved them all on the list and have the changes in this
> version [1] of the draft, with the possible exception of those
> below.
>
> The issues raised but not so far obviously resolved on the
> list were I think:
>
> 1) inclusion of content type
> 2) nih as a URI scheme or not
>
> For (1) this version includes ct= in draft-farrell-decade-ni
> (the only changes to draft-hallambaker-decade-ni-params [2]
> made so far are those that flow from moving that text), so
> I'd hope that this version resolves that but would welcome
> feedback on the new text from folks who commented. I'd hope
> it should be ok, modulo some text tweaks.
>
> For (2) we've left nih in as a URI scheme in this version.
> We're still in favour of keeping it that way and have added
> some language about why its there and is done like that. I'm
> guessing that Martin at least won't be happy (but who knows;-),
> so again comments are welcome as to whether the new text helps
> or not.

When reading your explanations, I had hoped that there would be some
text along the lines of "different use case" that would really explain
why two separate schemes are necessary. For example something similar to
what Graham was mentioning at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg73760.html, which I
understand is similar to what I mentioned as fingerprints in our discussion.

Unfortunately, what I find is the following:

 > The justification for using a URI scheme for this is that that might
 > help a user agent for the speaker to better display the value, or
 > perhaps if there was some use-case for a machine to speak the value.

So we are creating a new URI scheme because *perhaps* there is a use
case? Or because it *might* help? In the whole discussion, I was always
ready to accept that there are different use cases, assuming that they
could be clearly explained. I'm really wondering why this is so
difficult. If these use cases really exist, it shouldn't be that
difficult, and it shouldn't sound so vague, or should it? I'm not
necessarily blaming you, but between you, your coauthors, and the WG
that apparently proposed this, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with
a better and more definite explanation than the sentence above.

 > We do not include the query string since there is no way to ensure
 > that its value might be spoken unambiguously, and similarly for the
 > authority, where e.g. internationalised forms of domain name could
 > not be usefully spoken.  This leaves the hash value as the only part
 > of the ni URI that we feel can be usefully included.  But since
 > speakers or listeners (or speech recognition) may err, we also
 > include a check-digit to catch common errors.

It is really strange to assume that text-to-speech software would work
for English (or ASCII in general), but not for other scripts or
languages. Sure, the level of text-to-speech software may not be exactly
the same for each script and each language, but that's no reason to
prohibit a domain name. There are definitely millions of domain names in
e.g. Chinese or Japanese or Russian,... that can be spoken and re-typed
quite unambiguously, and that users would have much less problems with
than a long string of hex digits. (And we would still have the check
digit, anyway.) On the other hand, it is quite possible to create domain
names with ASCII/English that neither humans nor text-to-speech engines
will be able to pronounce right.

Regards,   Martin.