Re: Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@mindspring.com> Thu, 16 January 2003 18:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:08:32 -0500
To: "Rokitansky, Carl-Herbert" <roki@cosy.sbg.ac.at>, "J. Noel Chiappa" <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>, Bob Braden <braden@ISI.EDU>, "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <gregv@lucent.com>, ietf@ietf.org, internet-history@postel.org, JimFleming@ameritech.net, steinle@smartvia.de, Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>, bortzmeyer@nic.fr, Vittorio Bertola <vb@vitaminic.net>, abel@able-towers.com, Joey Borda **star*walker** <starwalker@gay.com>, espresso@e-scape.net, jefsey@club-internet.fr, mgeist@uottawa.ca, harris@cabase.org.ar, Amadeu@nominalia.com, apisan@servidor.unam.mx, helmut.schink@icn.siemens.de, jcohen@shapirocohen.com, junsec@wide.ad.jp, censslin@ntia.doc.gov, chandley@ntia.doc.gov, DEvans@doc.gov, ellen@rony.com, eric@hi-tek.com, nvictory@ntia.doc.gov, rdesilva@ntia.doc.gov, RLayton@ntia.doc.gov, Ron Sherwood <sherwood@islands.vi>, Stephen Waters <swaters@amicus.com>, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@gitoyen.net>, Simon Higgs <simon@higgs.com>, richard.hill@itu.int, "Richard J. Sexton" <richard@vrx.net>, raul@inia.org.uy, k@widgital.com, Jkhan <Jkhan@MetroMgr.com>, Ben Edelman <edelman@law.harvard.edu>, "@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc." <shore@quasar.net>
From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Cluster Addressing and CIDR
Cc: sotiris@hermesnetwork.com, Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>, micheal@beethoven.com, jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com, harivijapur@rediffmail.com, Bruce Young <Bruce@barelyadequate.info>, Alexander Svensson <alexander@svensson.de>, Joe Baptista <baptista@dot-god.com>, David Goldstein <goldstein_david@yahoo.com.au>, andy@navigator.co.nz, barrister@chambers.gen.nz, grant.forsyth@clear.co.nz, Joop Teernstra <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>, pdthrush@actrix.co.nz, KathrynKL@aol.com, yjpark@myepark.com, mouhamet@next.sn, saq66@umkc.edu, carl.rokitansky@sbg.ac.at
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

At 01:21 AM 1/14/2003 +0100, Rokitansky, Carl-Herbert wrote:
>PS: As far as I can recall (having currently no access to any old
>documents) the IETF (or plans for it ?) was established in 1984 in a
>meeting in Malvern, UK at RSRE, in Sept (?) 1984 (could anyone please
>confirm), in which several of us participated ! Do you have any plans
>already to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the IETF
>! Please keep me informed. Thanks ! Roki.

Hi Roki -

Sorry - wrong date.  The IETF was established as the result of an IAB
meeting held just immediately before the 1st IETF meeting - which
incidentally was actually the last GADS (Gateway Architecture and Data
Structures) meeting.  Mike Corrigan (my boss and the Technical Manager for
the Defense Data Network) came in late in the day on the first day of the
meeting and informed us the IAB had decided to split GADS into the INENG
and the INARC (Internet Engineering and Internet Architecture) and that the
GADS chair (Dave Mills) was now the chair of INARC.  Mike Corrigan took
over as the first chair of the INENG which pretty immediately became the
IETF (it was easier on the tongue).

We spent about 1/2 of the 2nd day on engineering issues and I would really
call that specific day the first IETF meeting.  According to the IETF
website, that was January 17th, 1986 - so we've got a few years yet until
the 20th anniversary.

Later, Mike