RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-11

<david.black@emc.com> Fri, 29 June 2012 13:44 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: alan.b.johnston@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:43:54 -0400
Subject: RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-11
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: mohsen.soroush@sylantro.com, ietf@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, bliss@ietf.org, vvenkatar@gmail.com, david.black@emc.com

Alan,

Thank you for the quick response.  I have a few comments on the proposed
resolutions.  Absence of a comment implies that I agree with the proposed
resolution.

REQ-16 - I understand what's going on here (automatic ringdown), but the
language is just slightly off because there is actually a dialing request.
Here's all of REQ-16:

   REQ-16 The mechanism should support a way for a UA to seize a
   particular appearance number and also send the request at the same
   time.  This is needed when an automatic ringdown feature (a telephone
   configured to immediately dial a phone number when it goes off hook)
   is combined with shared appearances - in this case, seizing the line
   is the same thing as dialing.

The language problem is that the line seizing includes a dialing request,
so "is the same thing as" isn't quite correct when applied solely to
"seizing the line".  As you suggest, the simplest fix would be to just
remove "- in this case ... dialing", or it could be changed to:

	- in this case, seizing the line is part of dialing.

5.3 - Doing nothing is fine.  I'm not a SIP expert, so I assume that
the standard PUBLISH behavior (soft-state times out if not refreshed)
is well-known to anyone who is, and hence no change is needed.

5.4 - please add "(Bad Request)" after each of the two instances of "400".

9.1/2/3 - please change to using "SHOULD" in each of these sections
and explain that the "SHOULD" is motivated by user experience concerns.

Thanks,
--David