Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> Mon, 31 March 2003 17:07 UTC

From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))
To: mrw@windriver.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:01:43 -0800
Cc: john@jck.com, alh-ietf@tndh.net, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

% >But suppose we really do have enough address space (independent of routing
% >issues).  In that context, is site local just a shortcut to avoid dealing
% >with a more general problem?  Should we have a address allocation policy
% >that updates the policies of the 70s but ignores the intermediate "we are
% >running out" steps? Should I be able to go to an RIR and ask for unique
% >space for an isolated network, justify how much of it I need, and get it
% >-- with no promises that the addresses can be routed (and, presumably,
% >without pushing a wheelbarrow full of dollars/ euros/ yen/ won/ yuan/...)?
%
% Yes, yes and yes.
%
% Margaret

	Is may be worth noting that RIRs have -NEVER- made presumptions
	on routability of the delegations they make.

--bill