Re: IETF privacy policy - update

Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org> Thu, 15 July 2010 14:36 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Subject: Re: IETF privacy policy - update
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:36:55 +0100
Cc: IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Stephan,

On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Stephan Wenger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is an excellent straw man for an IETF privacy policy.
> I have,
> however, two issues with its adoption that makes me question the
> wisdom of
> an unqualified "+1".

Thanks.

> First, I'm not quite sure whether the IETf should adopt such a
> document
> without providing clear guidelines to its I* people, the
> secretariat, or WG
> chairs.  In the absence of such guidelines, those people could be
> seen as
> responsible of upholding the policy without knowing the practical
> "how to",
> which may create a certain personal liability on their side, to
> which they
> may not have signed up to.  I believe that the pool of people on the
> hook
> for this implementation is too big, to unstructured, and perhaps not
> sufficiently trained (especially when it comes to the fine details)
> of the
> implementation of the policy.  In other words, my fear is that we may
> promise something to the outside world of which the people
> responsible are
> not certain how exactly it needs to be delivered--which puts them
> into an
> unenviable position.

Point taken. The document currently lacks clarity about who is
actually doing the data handling. I think the process of sorting that
out will be highly instructive. Getting a general understanding of who
is responsible for what will be the first step towards being able to
give those people guidance about data handling.

> Second, I fear that the draft policy (-01 draft) provides
> occasionally the
> impression of a certain safety of private data, where no such safety
> exists.
> For example, equipment that stores log files is moved frequently
> into areas
> where US law does not apply.  I would assume (without knowing for
> certain)
> that the machines dealing with on-site information do keep some
> sensitive
> information on their local hard drives--which are outside the US for
> many of
> our meetings.

The jurisdiction of stored data is definitely one point that needs to
be better documented, I agree.

> And so on.

If you have specific ideas of other spots where the document over-
promises, a list would be appreciated. I can take further
clarifications back to the secretariat or whoever the responsible
party is.

Thanks,
Alissa