Re: Security for the IETF wireless network

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Fri, 25 July 2014 11:59 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:59:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Security for the IETF wireless network
acceptlanguage: en-US

Jari, while I support this idea, if I had to prioritize, I'd rather us
focus on consistently offering *any* secured WiFi option in the hotel
rooms.

Here at the Fairmont, for example: ietf-hotel is the only SSID available,
and it's not secure. Yes, one could use wired, assuming one's widget has
an ethernet plug, but many now don't.

I realize that this request is often limited by the host hotel's
infrastructure, which may or may not support .1x, but even if the best we
can do is to offer WPA2 with "IETF", or "encryptionFTW" as the password,
that'd be a great improvement over what we have currently.

Thanks,

Wes