Re: [79all] IETF Badge

mstjohns@comcast.net Fri, 12 November 2010 01:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:45:28 +0000
From: mstjohns@comcast.net
To: Ray Pelletier <rpelletier@isoc.org>
Subject: Re: [79all] IETF Badge
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hi Ray -

When did the community decide that this was a prohibited thing? Or that we were concerned enough with it to post security to make sure the badge matched the person?

I can think of several IETFs where the badge name did not match the person including the Stanford IETF where there were a dozen or so "Milo Medin"s.

While I appreciate the hotel's and/or host's efforts on our behalf to secure our belongings, I believe its for us to decide our attendance policy - not them. And lest you wax poetic about paid attendees, I will note that the badges were paid for.

Here's what I'm hearing -

The host/hotel/some other organization imposed conditions without consulting the IAOC. We didn't have much choice. If that's the case - assign the blame to the host/hotel and move on. We as a community generally understand re-routing in the face of network/operations issues. Especially, please avoid the apologist role for the outside forces.

If the IAOC was consulted and approved this without passing it by the community, stand up straight and take your lickings and stop trying to pretend it's what we've always done. It's embarrassing.

If there's a third case I missed please feel free to enlighten me.

Mike