Re: Last Call: <draft-campbell-art-rfc5727-update-02.txt> (Improving the Organizational Flexibility of the SIP Change Process.) to Best Current Practice

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 04 January 2016 20:54 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-campbell-art-rfc5727-update-02.txt> (Improving the Organizational Flexibility of the SIP Change Process.) to Best Current Practice
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 14:54:27 -0600
Cc: ietf <ietf@ietf.org>

On 4 Jan 2016, at 14:24, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> On 01/04/2016 09:03 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>> Hi Harald,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback. Do you have further comments to Mary's
>
> I've been mulling this over the holidays. It is clear that I need to
> phrase things more carefully; it seems that my (rather harsh) words
> were
> too easily interpreted as a challenge to either the integrity or the
> competence of the people who led this process, while it was intended
> point out that their efforts had led us to a place I consider to be
> very
> very wrong - and that applying the same pattern would likely have a
> result that was no better.

Can you offer examples where the dispatch process led to poor results?
Especially where non-dispatch approaches would be reasonably expected to
offer different results?

>> In any case, there's nothing (intentionally, anyway) in the draft
>> that
>> pushes for other areas to use the dispatch process unless they see a
>> benefit in doing so.
>
> The draft does explicitly state the intent to use a dispatch-like
> process for the apps pieces of ART, though.
> I think that's a Bad Idea.

Can you elaborate on why that is a Bad Idea?

I don't see this as being all that different from at least part of what
the appsawg already did. The main point is to have the wg act as a
triage point rather than as a place for work to happen. Nothing here
prevents BoFs where people think they make sense. Where do you see
things going wrong?

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ben.
>>
>> On 10 Dec 2015, at 11:53, Mary Barnes wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Harald Alvestrand
>>> <harald@alvestrand.no>

>>> [MB] For those of us that were involved in the RAI/TSV area before
>>> DISPATCH, the process solved a number of real problems such as work
>>> group
>>> shopping, delays in getting work moved forward as well as the
>>> insanity of
>>> the SIPPING WG.   Now, things have changed in terms of the volume of
>>> new
>>> work, so perhaps we no longer need this type of process and we can
>>> go
>>> back
>>> to the adhoc way in which things were handled previously.

>>> [MB] Certainly, it doesn't fit a typical working group model and
>>> really is
>>> more of an area working group, but it's not run as a permanent
>>> review
>>> panel
>>> nor standing Bof.   All discussion happens on the work group mailing
>>> list
>>> other than a single call with the ADs and DISPATCH WG chairs and the
>>> output
>>> of that call is published on the WG mailing list for community
>>> feedback.
>>> I'm just curious if you could provide at least one concrete example
>>> of the
>>> counterproductive and destructive aspects of the process.  What work
>>> didn't
>>> get done that you think ought to have gotten done because of the
>>> process?
>>> [/MB]

>>> [MB] Actually, WebRTC still ran under the process in that it was
>>> quite
>>> clear from the get go that it was a large work item with a very
>>> broad
>>> scope
>>> for which the entire community ought to be involved.  Honestly, if