RE: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile-04.txt> (Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Profile for 3GPP Mobile Devices) to Informational RFC

<david.binet@orange.com> Wed, 04 September 2013 08:29 UTC

From: david.binet@orange.com
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>, BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:29:09 +0200
Subject: RE: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile-04.txt> (Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Profile for 3GPP Mobile Devices) to Informational RFC
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Lorenzo

Answers below

David

________________________________
De : v6ops-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:v6ops-bounces@ietf.org] De la part de Lorenzo Colitti
Envoyé : mercredi 4 septembre 2013 10:04
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN
Cc : v6ops@ietf.org WG; IETF Discussion

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM, <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com<mailto:mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>> wrote:

it is about ** a ** profile for mobile devices.

But wait... if it's just *a* profile, then why is the IETF publishing this particular profile, and not any other profile? Is this an IETF recommended profile? If, so then the document should state why. If not, then the document should state that this is just one possible profile, and that the IETF does not recommend for or against it.
[[david]] It is a profile proposed by several operators and supported by other ones. Maybe you have some other proposition for mobile profile but as operators, this list of requirements fits our needs.

I think the fundamental problem with this document is that it does not provide solid reasons for why all 34 requirements need to be implemented (and personally, I think that's because it just can't - there *are* no solid reasons).
[[david]] Did you mention that not all requirements are mandatory ? It gives flexibility to operators to define what they are expecting from vendors.
 The draft seems implies that all these requirements must be met to deploy IPv6 on mobile devices, but that's not true. A great example is the statement in the abstract which says that this document "lists the set of features a 3GPP mobile device is to be compliant with to connect to an IPv6-only or dual-stack wireless network". This statement is false: there are tens of millions of mobile devices using IPv6 every day, and none of them meet more than a minority of the requirements in this document.
[[david]] Do you mean that the current status regarding IPv6 support in devices is fine and that there is no need for other features in mobile devices ? Some devices have been connected to IP networks for tens of years now and it does not mean we should not add new features to these devices to enable new services. We are considering, as operators, that current IPv6 features in mobile devices do not satisfy all our needs as mentioned in the document.

I know we've already gone over this in the WG, but since this is IETF last call, I think the rest of the community should see this discussion so that we collectively know what the arguments for and against this proposal and can reach informed consensus.
[[david]] OK

Oh, and I know it's a bit out of fashion, but: what happened to "running code"? Are there *any* implementations of all this?
[[david]] We expect some implementations and we are thinking that such kind of document may be useful to get some.

Thank you.