Re: [aqm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-05.txt> (FlowQueue-Codel) to Experimental RFC

Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net> Wed, 23 March 2016 19:37 UTC

Subject: Re: [aqm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-05.txt> (FlowQueue-Codel) to Experimental RFC
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:37:34 +0000
Cc: draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel@ietf.org, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk>, ietf@ietf.org, aqm-chairs@ietf.org, Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>

David,

Quick reply for now...

DualQ and DCTCP is a separate issue to this question, because it has
only just started development.
That's why I only mentioned PIE & FQ_CoDel, which have been maturing for
some time.

Safe means "without unintended side-effects". The word doesn't alter its
meaning when the thing in question is really cool in other respects.

If a teleworker is using a VPN for their everyday work from home, and
every time their kids upload or download an elephant they squeeze all
the VPN traffic to nearly nothing, that is enough to require a support
call, and explanation of how to switch FQ_CoDel to a safer (but less
performant) AQM (such as PIE, say).

This is not an academic argument. There are a few billion people using
the Internet. Even if 0.01% are hit by one of the listed limitations,
that's a huge volume of support calls. This is why it is important to
use the word "safe" precisely. Yes, FQ_CoDel has awesome performance.
But it is awesome and unsafe in certain circumstances.

If that muddies the marketing message, well then seriously consider
marketing PIE instead. There is no room for "not invented here" in this
decision.
Otherwise, FQ_CoDel will get bad press later. Then, after riding the
hype curve of coolness it will fall over the cliff of disillusionment.

Bob

Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/