RE: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Thu, 11 August 2016 11:27 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:27:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]

Grammatically, RECOMMENDED is sometimes useful, as using SHOULD instead can produce less clear sentences. In principal the same applies to OPTIONAL, but I've never had cause to use it.

I wouldn't miss SHALL. Except that SHALL is often the word used outside the IETF rather than must, and there may be many RFCs using it, so do need to keep the explanation, even if deprecated to use it in new documents.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 (0)1245 242194  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP