Re: Functional differentiation and administrative restructuring

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 08 September 2004 05:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:28:31 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Functional differentiation and administrative restructuring
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Ted,

Let me try to briefly start from your assumptions and explain
why one might reach the opposite conclusion.   Before I go on,
I'm assuming that your conclusion really implies "organization
separate from ISOC" rather than "separate organization within
some ISOC framework".  There are scenarios for the latter with
which I'd be perfectly comfortable.

For starters, I'm a fan (if that term can be applied to a
relatively dismal approach to things) of risk and cost-benefit
analyses in a "whole system" environment.    If a magic wand
could be found that would assure an instant and smooth
transition from wherever we are today to whatever state we would
like to end up in, while simultaneously holding Murphy's Law at
bay, and, in particular...

	* providing our volunteer leadership with both a lot of
	extra cycles without subtracting those cycles from the
	standards process, and

	* providing that same leadership with executive
	management skills for which they were not selected and
	that, to be blunt, are not in evidence, and

	* guaranteeing that the IRS would instantly award
	tax-exempt status to the new entity, avoiding a
	prolonged period in which we needed to collect circa
	1.75 times the amount of money we needed to operate
	(contrary to the usual 12-24 months or longer it takes
	to get that status if there are no hitches) and escrow
	the tax reserve, and

	* guaranteeing that the corporations and organizations
	who have generously supported the IETF via ISOC would be
	immediately willing to support an untried new entity at
	double (or more) the funding level when their history of
	the last several years with ISOC has been to push back
	on funding requests until and unless ISOC and the IETF
	could get a model into place that was sustainable at a
	much lower level of donations, and

	* guaranteeing that, with the same leadership steering
	the administrative entity that steers the standards
	process (there are other models, and I hope to be able
	to circulate a proof-of-concept strawman within the next
	few days, but all of Carl's scenarios basically assume
	that relationship as, more or less, RFC 3716 did)
	doesn't get us into difficulties with either tax status,
	perceived conflicts of interest, or control/capture by
	donors,

	* guaranteeing that we could actually (and quickly) find
	and hire an Administrator and supporting staff (while
	the proposal claims "one person" that actually isn't
	what it says), including sorting out benefits and
	status, etc., and that the Administrator and staff could
	quickly and smoothly get things up and running while
	resisting micromanagement from the volunteer leadership
	and/or the community, and

	* guaranteeing that hotel and meeting facilities would
	be willing to book facilities at more or less current
	deposit/ advance payment rates when the booking
	organization has _no_ credit rating (or that we could
	transfer that booking responsibility to another
	organization that would be willing to assume that level
	of risk on our behalf without additional compensation).

... and so on.  That isn't the whole list, but it perhaps starts
to make the point.

Now, if someone supplied that particular high-potency magic
wand, then I'd probably agree that a separate structure would
make things cleaner and more obvious (not necessarily better in
the grand scheme of things, but at least reasonable).   But,
from a risk analysis standpoint, even the abbreviated list above
is a pretty long list.  If any one of those assumptions (or any
of several of those not listed) is not met and things go
seriously wrong, the odds of the standards process grinding to a
complete halt -- think "no meetings", "no IESG phone calls",
and/or "even less functional mailing lists and archives" as
examples-- are non-trivial.

Now, by contrast, if we do this under an ISOC umbrella (really
expanding the existing umbrella somewhat) or, for that matter,
under a CRNI umbrella (if Bob Kahn hasn't gotten so completely
disgusted with us during this process that he would not consider
it), then the tax uncertainties go away, many of the
organizational uncertainties disappear, we have a sponsoring
organization that is not controlled by, or controlling of, the
standards process (a model that is used by every
non-government-based standards body in the world that I've been
able to identify), and we have a significant and tested safety
net under the other functions and risks.

I think that is important, because I think that assuming that
the creation of a new structure and transition to it will go
rapidly, smoothly, and without a hitch is... well, words escape
me.  If the costs of making that assumption and having it not
turn out to be true were, at worst, some minor inconvenience,
then I think it might well be worth considering carefully.
But, as far as I can tell, the "separate organization" model
bets the entire survival of the IETF against a "nothing will go
wrong" assumption.  And that seems to me to be a bad choice...
unless there are no alternatives and independent of where
various styles of analysis lead us in some more perfect and
utopian world.

     john

--On Tuesday, 07 September, 2004 18:59 -0700 Ted Hardie