Re: Measuring IETF and IESG trends (Was: Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis)

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Wed, 25 June 2008 13:56 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Subject: Re: Measuring IETF and IESG trends (Was: Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:56:04 -0400
Cc: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Jari;

On Jun 25, 2008, at 7:37 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> [...]
> completely accurately. And last but not least, I don't want anyone
> to blindly look at the numbers without considering what's behind
> them. There are significant variations between documents. Tracker
> status and real world situation may be different. Areas differ.
> There is limited amount of information about documents prior to them
> becoming WG documents. And its not necessarily the goal of the IETF
> to produce a large number of documents as fast as it can; I have no
> way to measure quality in these numbers. These are so hard issues
> that its not even clear that the statistics have more value than
> acting as entertaining trivia about the process.

> That being said, it is beneficial to understand what is happening
> and what changes are occurring in the process. Or understand where
> improvements might have a negligible vs. visible impact.
>
> One of the things that the IESG has been concerned about recently is
> that the number of outstanding Discusses is growing. We talked about
> this in our May retreat and identified some actions to help reduce
> this problem. For instance, better tool support so that the ADs
> would better see the different things that are waiting for their
> action, getting the document shepherds better involved in the
> resolution process, informing authors how they should respond to
> Discusses, using RFC Editor notes to make small changes when the
> authors are slow in producing a new version, better checks of
> documents before they come to telechats (e.g., to ensure that formal
> syntax in a document is free of errors), etc. These would be in
> addition to the usual things we'd do, like debate whether the
> Discuss was within the Discuss criteria, whether the issue is real,
> try to ensure that the AD and the authors are being responsive over
> e-mail, etc.
>
> Another interesting area to think about is the time that our
> processes take. For instance, documents that go through me take on
> the average five months from publication request to approval. But
> there is a lot of variation. This time includes everything from AD
> review, IETF Last Call to IESG review and waiting for document
> revisions, etc. One interesting piece of information is that
> documents that require no revision during this process are very
> rare, but they go through the system about five times as fast. If we
> look at the (unreliable) substates, they appear to indicate that the
> IESG processing time is divided roughly 1:2:1 for waiting on AD,
> authors, and mandatory process waits like last call periods.
>
> I am working to extend the analysis a little bit further by
> including individual draft and WG document stages. You see some of
> the results of this in the third URL above, but I'd like to
> understand what fraction of the overall draft-smith-00 to RFC time
> is taken by the different stages for all IETF work, and how the
> stages have developed over time.
>
> Comments and suggestions on what would be useful to measure are

I, at least, always like looking at such statistics, so I thank you.

In my opinion, the real value of this come from trends. The IESG
clearly should not have
Soviet style work norms, for a bunch of reasons, and it may not be
possible to say what an approval rate should be,
but if something changes greatly over time it is generally worthwhile
to figure out why.

To that end, I frequently find it useful to put means and standard
deviations as horizontal lines on the plot, at least once enough data
is available (say, 5 data points). (You can do the mean as a solid
line and the mean + and - one or two standard deviations as dashes or
dots or a fainter line).

The assumption is that there are underlying random (gaussian or
poisson) processes that cause the numbers to fluctuate about the mean
and that there is no other way to determine these means and S.D.
except from the data. Under these assumptions, there should be fairly
frequent fluctuations > 1 standard deviation from the mean, and
occasional fluctuations > 2 standard deviations from the mean, but a
string of fluctuations 2 + standard deviations from the mean probably
should be looked into. (Of course, the underlying assumptions here may
be faulty, and
these bounds may need to be adjusted based on experience.)

BTW, this page seems to have blank plots, which may be due to not
enough data :

http://www.arkko.com/tools/admeasurements/stat/Eronen_Pasi-approved.html

Regards
Marshall