Re: The Next Generation

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 04 September 2019 02:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 22:23:54 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Rob Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: The Next Generation

Rob,

Speaking as one of those white, male, and arguably past
middle-aged guys, I've taken the position for about the last
decade that my own time was better spent in advising, coaching,
and other support roles than in explicit leadership ones.  I've
taken on one WG Chair position during that period because it
didn't look like there was any practical alternative but tried
to see to it that younger people did most of the work and
learned in the process (I'm not sure I succeeded, but I tried).
And I encouraged the Nomcom to put me back on the IAB for one
term because I thought my perspective would be useful but
stepped down at the end of that term (I admit I'm considering
whether to do that again).  In that same period, I've helped a
number of newcomers get initial drafts prepared and so on.

I don't know if that is a good example or not.  My personality
does not make me an ideal candidate for the role I've tried to
take on and, as members of the present and past EDU efforts can
tell you, I've got strong opinions and can be annoying to work
with. Each of the older and more experienced folks should make
their own decisions about when or if to make similar
transitions.  At one time, I believed that everyone stepping off
the IESG --voluntarily or not-- should devote themselves
primarily to bringing others along rather than finding new
places to "lead".  Maybe I still do.

I think that constitutes "working to hand off to younger
people".  But it covers  something that I think your note
misses.  I've observed that one of the worst tendencies in
industries related to the Internet is putting people in new
positions or promoting them with lines that amount to
"congratulations, you are now an X", where "X" might be
"manager", "designer", "expert in some previously unknown
field", etc.   In general, if one takes a WG and says (this is
probably more extreme than you intended) "no one gets to
participate in this if they have been around the IETF more than
ten years or can remember when the first packets moved over the
ARPANET", that is likely to be a recipe for failure.  Yes, some
people might rise to the job, but I think we can do better by
recognizing that, for example, good WG Chairs grow out of
learning, experience, and lots of support and not an hour course
or being congratulated by an AD.. usually even if the
prospective Chairs think they are ready.

It seems to me that we need at least two things.  One is a
supply of incoming younger people, ideally a diverse one.  We
need to get better at finding them and bringing them in and also
at not scaring or driving them off.  The other is a plan about
getting support for those who show even minimal potential that
moves well beyond a few hours during the week of IETF and that
may need to be proactive rather than waiting for the newcomers
to ask for help.   I think the more senior people can help with
those things by volunteering for those more education and
supportive roles, acting as advisors and, if necessary,
co-chairs for younger people and first-time WG chairs, and
generally not being in the way.  I don't think that is quite
enough of a plan.

 best,
   john

--On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 17:35 -0700 Rob Sayre