Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Thu, 22 May 2008 13:54 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Melinda Shore <mshore@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:54:14 -0400
Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On May 22, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:

> On 5/22/08 8:51 AM, "John C Klensin" <john-ietf@jck.com> wrote:
>> Indeed, another way of looking at this question is that deciding
>> to register an ISSN for the RFC series really does not preclude
>> anything else (including, were we so inclined, putting DOIs on
>> each RFC) and we should therefore be asking "ISSN or not ISSN"
>> with all questions about other sorts of identifiers and
>> cataloging being viewed as separate.
>
> I think the cataloging question is probably central to the
> question of whether or not to bother with an ISSN.  I don't
> think an ISSN has any practical value other than that it
> increases the likelihood that LC will catalog the series/
> serial and that libraries will then start sticking it into
> their electronic holdings.  Now, I'm not sure I see an
> advantage to getting libraries to pick up RFCs given how
> trivial it is to find them online, but that's another matter.
> Another advantage is discrimination in the event that some other
> serial publication is also called "Request for Comments," but
> again I'm not sure that's an actual problem.  But mainly,
> getting an ISSN gets the series into the library system.

It is easy to find RFC's now, but it may not be in a century.

This may seem silly, but I think that RFCs will still have relevance
in a century and,
having experience searching for 100+ year old astronomical
publications and data,
in my opinion, RFC's need to be cataloged in libraries.

Libraries have running code for the maintenance of
intellectual property over centuries; the IETF does not.

Regards
Marshall