Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Mon, 23 April 2012 19:40 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:40:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.4]

Hi,
According to the proposal, the (scanned and proceedings-attached) blue
sheets contain non machine-interpretable data (handwritten names).
Assuming this, I think our desire for transparency ought to outweigh our
desire for privacy.  It will still require a lot of manual work to
generate a maechine-interpretable version of the bluesheets suitable for
automatic processing, alleviating at least some of the privacy concerns.
OTOH, I consider it rather helpful to be able to go back a few years and
see who was attending a certain WG at a certain time, and who was not.
(Can be helpful for all kinds of things beyond facilities planning and
litigation, for example verifying statements found in resumes, refreshing
one's memory of the who-is-who in a certain WG at a certain time, and so
on.)
My view would probably be different with respect to blue sheet publication
if the content were machine-interpretable.
Email addresses so meaningless nowadays in the sense that everyone who is
careful, or already has bad intentions, can get his/her own use-once email
with only minimal planning and effort.  So let's save some time to
participants when filling out the blue sheet, and remove them from the
blue sheets as proposed.
Stephan