Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments

Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl> Fri, 28 March 2008 07:14 UTC

From: Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:14:01 +0100
Cc: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> While not really disagreeing with Leslie and Olaf, I would
> point out that the IPR WG was chartered to look at
> IETF documents.

Those being ietf-stream exclusively or implicitly also covering the
iab-stream?

Personally, I think it makes sense that the iab-stream is covered, but
let me put that in front of the IAB too.

> We can have a meta-discussion about
> where the clarifications belong, but it seems to me
> that the WG consensus definitely assumed that scope
> and no wider scope. I'd be happy if that was made
> clear in the drafts, rather than trying to cover
> the other documents streams by some kind of awkward
> retro-fit.

My suggestion is to rewrite  section 4 a bit to call out that this
document does not cover the incoming rights for the independent and
irtf stream and to use the terms "ietf-stream" and possibly "iab-
stream" in the definitions.

Such a rewrite would preserve the status quo for the independent and
irtf stream.

no-hats,

--Olaf

<no further comments below>

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> While not really disagreeing with Leslie and Olaf, I would
> point out that the IPR WG was chartered to look at
> IETF documents. We can have a meta-discussion about
> where the clarifications belong, but it seems to me
> that the WG consensus definitely assumed that scope
> and no wider scope. I'd be happy if that was made
> clear in the drafts, rather than trying to cover
> the other documents streams by some kind of awkward
> retro-fit.
>
>   Brian
>
> On 2008-03-28 08:15, Leslie Daigle wrote:
>>
>> --On March 27, 2008 10:33:24 AM +0100 Olaf Kolkman
>> <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> I would think that the document would gain in clarity if it
>>> explicitly
>>> ties the incoming rights to the streams as defined in RFC4844 and
>>> also
>>> explicitly calls out that if new streams would be defined those
>>> should
>>> specifically define if and how rights are transferred to the IETF
>>> Trust.
>>
>> I would have to agree with the above, and say further that the
>> the IAB should make sure that the entities responsible for
>> the non-IETF streams are okay with the result.
>>
>> When writing the streams definitions, it was clear that there was a
>> lot of material that was spread across existing documents without
>> clear delineation between "IETF" or "non-IETF" documents, let
>> alone further refinement into what has become "streams".  THat's
>> understandable, historically, but we should be clearer going
>> forward.  Breaking it out, as you suggest, would be consistent
>> with that goal.
>>
>> Leslie.
>>

>>> While reviewing the documents I tried to determine how the 4 streams
>>> currently defined in RFC4844 fit into the framework.
>>>
>>> Although the stream is not specifically mentioned it is clear that
>>> the
>>> incoming rights document applies to the IETF Stream.
>>>
>>> To me it is clear that a contribution to the IAB is explicitly
>>> bound by
>>> the rules (including the No Duty to Publish rule, that allows for
>>> confidential information to be supplied to the IAB), so are
>>> contributions
>>> from the IAB, i.e. IAB stream document. I conclude this from the