Response to Jari's blog

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Wed, 30 December 2015 20:26 UTC

Subject: Response to Jari's blog
From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:26:22 +0100
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: Olle E Johansson <oej@edvina.net>

Hi!

Thank you Jari, for a great summary of 2015.

One thing I’m missing is a continued focus on IPv6. I think there has to be some pressure and ways to handle IPv6 bugs in current RFCs outside of the normal process.

We have submitted several drafts to the dispatch and sipcore working groups, all died because of a lack of interest and discussion in the group. The bugs we found in the SIP protocol still remains and needs to be fixed in order for SIP implementations to handle dual stacks properly - but I can’t find a way to get this published following the normal process.

So we have bugs related to IPv6, we have a group of authors and the documents still are not going anywhere because a lack of interest.

I know that we have several bugs related to TLS handling in the SIP protocol as well. The handling of IPv6 issues doesn’t make me very positive about even bothering with writing any drafts about them.

Yes, I am pessimistic. Yes, I am pretty sure there are other protocols that have bugs related to both IPv6 and TLS handling. I think the IETF needs to find a way to handle these even in low-energy working groups like the SIPcore group.

Happy New Year!

/O