RE: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations

Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu> Wed, 09 March 2016 10:16 UTC

From: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Observations on (non-technical) changes affecting IETF operations
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:16:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.102]

Hi,

good discussion starter.

Two comments:

1) Open Source / Hackathon:

The objective of the IETF should IMO be to develop open, high-quality specifications (in a timely manner...). We have been working with running code for ensuring implementability and interoperability. That's still a good thing, however, we could think about how we can make better use of Open Source for the specification process. (Following up on Dave Ward's lunch presentation some IETF meetings back.)

For example, some IRTF RGs are working with reference implementations (of their core protocols) to promote experimentation, more research, future adoption.

Would it make sense to promote similar models for the protocol specification process in IETF WGs (beyond the Hackathon concept)?

Potential benefits:

- more running code -- better specification quality
- FOSS as standards reference implementations -- promoting standards adoption
- potentially: speeding up the process

This could also help us with working better with industry Open Source Projects, e.g., OpenDaylight, OPNFV.

2) SDN

I'd like to add one point (IMO the main point) to the description of SDN in the current draft:

Network programmability: the ability to define the functions and the behavior of individual network elements and thus of the network overall dynamically, beyond management and configuration.

Instead of seeing this as a risk ("who would need standards anymore?"...), I think we could do better in finding a constructive role for the IETF: For example, network programmability can enable and require new IETF protocol work -- e.g., evolving IP, transport protocol support in the network -- things that have been difficult in the past.

Finding a good role for the IETF here would IMO be useful, for example between ONF and systems SDOs like 3GPP...

Disclaimer: I am aware that this is a difficult discussion. I also don't think that SDN solves all problems...

Cheers,
Dirk