Re: The RFC Acknowledgement

"Hector Santos" <hsantos@isdg.net> Sun, 10 February 2013 16:28 UTC

From: Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: The RFC Acknowledgement
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:26:25 -0500
Cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

Notice 4144 has no acknowledgements except for the RFC editor sponsorship. :)

Most I see is common sense, but my view, in my somewhat limited work areas I have participating in, it doesn't matter if the editor/author doesn't like you.  I guess that would be the exception. I think overall 4144 doesn't quite consider the "part time" IETF warrior, such as myself. Even if you could practice 4414 (except maybe not attend IETF meetings yet which you have stated is basically required to get people to feel comfortable with you), be 100% instructmental in the genesis of getting work and even RFCs initiatiated and done and yet no acknowledgements (acks) of your input is recognized.  Again, not a big thing for me. I am not looking for a pat on the back (its already sore from my earlier years). Its not something I would normally expect to be thinking about. I'm an engineer first and normally just hope to avoid conflicts, including potential conflicts. To me, "Getting it right.... The First Time" is the most important quality to look for in work. But I have to say, I still not uset to the IETF competitive nature inherently has.  4144 touches base with some of this, in regards to making sure you can communicate with others. But I'm from a schoole where it should be a natural professional action of working with your peers at all levels, that basically dictates the work done.

Nonetheless, its all seems to be on the editor 99% of the time. Sometimes it seems random. Sometimes it intentionally and strategically prepared. I've seen acks where I never notice any input in a WG yet the name(s) was added most likely to add some "endorsement" value.  Which is not a bad idea - its what I will look for as well.  But to exclude critics is a questionable decision. I can understand why as well, but readers seeing the critics can often add weight to the higher level of review done.   Personally, if I didn't agree with an I-D or its direction, I have asked the Editor to remove my name. I've done that twice. Twice I have reminded editors; one added it and the other basically decided against the request. Can't worry about that. I feel it usually comes back to the person in some form or another.  Thats becomes a personal thing only which is probably not the norm when considering these things. Overall what the Editor/Author feels adds value to the document, and how it can help it reach the next stage, "SHOULD" be a big part of the considerations. Endorsement value should be a big part of it.  It helps readers to see respected technical people who have "reviewed" docs, including known critics whether you respect their credentials or not, are PITA or otherwise.  If the EDITOR needs to exclude input from critics, the doc probably has a problem in the first place.