Re: WG Review: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com> Tue, 22 April 2008 21:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:14:01 -0700
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>
To: David Partain <david.partain@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: WG Review: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

At Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:00:53 +0200,
David Partain wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 18.10.10 Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > I object to the formation of this WG with this charter.
>
> For those who haven't been involved in the discussions to date, Eric has
> objected to this work from the very beginning, as far  back as the first
> attempt to get a BOF and has continued to object since that time.  As such,
> I'm not surprised that he objects now.

Of course, since the issues I was concerned about from the very
beginning remain.

> > While there was a clear sense during the BOF that there was interest
> > in forming a WG, there was absolutely no consensus on technical
> > direction.
>
> Not surprisingly, I disagree.

Well, it's not really like this is a matter of opinion, since
the minutes are pretty clear that no consensus calls on the
choice of technology were taken, only that some work
in this area should move forward:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/minutes/canmod.txt

> The O&M community in the IETF has been talking about this specific topic for a
> long time, both in official and unofficial settings.  We've had many hours of
> meetings where people from all various viewpoints have had hashed out their
> differences.  This all culminated during the last IETF in a rather strong
> sense of consensus amongst those most interested in this work that it's time
> to stop talking and move forward, and that YANG was the best way to do that.
> No, not everyone agreed, but we DO have rough consensus in the O&M community
> and with the APPS area people who were involved that this was a reasonable
> approach forward.
>
> So, what about this consensus thing?
>
> Sometimes ADs have to make a call, and my take is that Dan & Ron did so.  They
> asked people representing ALL of the proposals to work on a proposal for a
> charter.  We spent a great many cycles doing exactly that.  All of the
> proposals that you saw presented at the CANMOD BOF were very active in the
> charter proposal discussions and the result is the consensus of all of those
> people.  No one got exactly what they wanted, but I think everyone felt is
> was a reasonable way forward.  So, we have consensus amongst the various
> proposals' authors.

The sum of all this verbiage is that, precisely as I said, there
wasn't consensus at the BOF, but that there was some set of rump
meetings where this compromise was hashed out.

-Ekr