Re: Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-03

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Wed, 17 August 2016 16:25 UTC

Subject: Re: Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-03
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds.all@ietf.org
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:24:58 -0700

appolgies for setting this aside for a month. IETF intervened, I don't
plan to advance this until the question is addressed in any event.
On 7/8/16 1:32 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-03
> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review Date: 8 Jul 2016
> IETF LC End Date: 11 Jul 2016
> IESG Telechat date: Not yet scheduled for a telechat

> Potential process problem:
>
> This document intends to move RFC7344 from Informational to PS in place
> (without republishing RFC7344. The intent to do so is buried at the end
> of the document (the abstract doesn't mention it). The Last Call for the
> document does not make it clear that _this_ document is elevating
> RFC7344.
> (It at least mentions it, which is good, but the writeup about the
> elevation
> can be read to say "we're considering this elevation somewhere else,
> keep it
> in mind while evaluating this document").
I don't recall the shift in status be controversial within the working
group, so perhaps I view it a logical step having developed experience
with the work as being worthwhile. That said I think there is a point to
be made here between advancing a standards track document and having a
standards track document address previously unspecified uses in an
informational document, Perhaps a third state is that the standards
track document is introducing an entirely new facility (trust anchor
setup) and dragging 7334 along with it.

I'm not sure the location of section 6.1 particularly matters wrt the
question of what to do, it's readily apparent in the front matter as a
section heading.

possibly the thing to do is hold separate last call for the standards
action I don't see this document as proposing any edits to 7334 that
would make revising it a necessity.

> There is no hint from the subject line that this is a call to bring
> RFC7344
> onto the standards track. Unless there is some other communication effort
> that I've missed on a quick search, I think it is very likely that most
> of the IETF community outside the dnsop working group missed this intent.
> I strongly encourge a last call focusing _specifically_ on moving RFC7344
> to the standards track without republication.
that seems like the right think to do.