Re: [Recentattendees] Remote Participation for IETF 95: Meetecho Details

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 31 March 2016 18:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:29:15 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@nomountain.net>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] Remote Participation for IETF 95: Meetecho Details

--On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 16:37 -0800 Melinda Shore
<melinda.shore@nomountain.net> wrote:

> On 3/30/16 12:22 PM, IETF Secretariat wrote:
>> 1. Individuals are required to register for the meeting to
>> observe or participate via Meetecho.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this correctly.  Does this mean
> that somebody is going to have to register after the meeting
> to be able to watch archived recordings?  That doesn't
> seem correct.  If it's not correct, why does someone have
> to register to passively watch a session?  Will the standalone
> audio streams still be available during sessions?

See separate, related, note, but add to Melinda's questions:

A registration requirement for remote participants is a major
policy change and one for people who merely want to passively
observe is something I believe the community has several times
concluded is inappropriate given privacy, etc., concerns.  So,
who made this decision and how?  Unless the answer involves a
community discussion and Last Call or equivalent process that I
missed (and apparently Melinda did too), if the answer to "who
decided" involves anyone in the IETF Leadership, would they
please offer to resign?

If it isn't clear, despite advocating for remote participant
registration for years (and being clearly in the rough), I think
this way of handling and announcing the decision is outrageous.

    john