Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Fri, 14 December 2007 21:59 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:58:41 -0800
From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: iaoc@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

IETF Chair wrote:
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> How dark is the IPv6 Internet?  Let's find out.
>
> During the IESG/IAOC Plenary at IETF 71, we are going to turn off IPv4
> support on the IETF network for 30 to 60 minutes.  We will encourage the
> audience to use the Internet and determine which services that they have
> come to take for granted remain available.

Note that unless hosts flush their dhcp leases and ipv4 default routes
this actually will look more like an ipv4 transit outage on a dual-stack
supporting network then it will an ipv6 only network... While I think
it's a perfectly reasonable exercise I think it's better to aim to
simulate the latter rather than the former (which is operational rather
than architectural issues).