Re: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 03 June 2015 20:16 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 21:16:03 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Tony Hain <alh-ietf@tndh.net>, ietf@ietf.org, 'IETF Announcement List' <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

Hi,

On 03/06/15 21:00, Tony Hain wrote:
> While I don't object to making the IETF content available via
> https/tls,

That's been done for ages. This just makes it the default. Which
does require some minor changes.

> this proposed statement reads as political knee-jerk BS
> that is both unnecessary and uncalled for. What the statement MUST
> focus on is 'data integrity', and SHOULD NOT stoop to fear mongering
> over 'privacy'.

I have to say the above seems somewhat overstated. (Where my use of
"somewhat" is understatement:-)

> "It is public data ..." For the very small subset
> that is truly restricted access, it is fine to acknowledge 'privacy'
> as a concern, but for the vast majority of the content in question,
> 'data integrity' is the only real concern.

I would assert that the existence of the dprive WG is good evidence
that the IETF does not consider data-integrity as the only real
concern for public data.

I'd also note that there is no TLS ciphersuite that satisfies BCP195
and that only provides data integrity. That very recent IETF consensus
document says one MUST NOT negotiate any of the ciphersuites with
NULL encryption (essentially outside of testing/debug). So what you
appear to want this statement to say would seem to be inconsistent
with IETF consensus.

Cheers,
S.