Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 24 April 2012 21:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:27:44 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: mrex@sap.com, Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Martin,

I invite you to post a copy of your law degree, license, and
credentials for the edification of this group.  In the interim
and in the event that you are correct, I strongly encourage the
IASA to avoid ever holding an IETF meeting in Germany again
without first obtaining appropriate legal advice that it is
acceptable given our existing conditions to record the names and
identities of anyone participating in any IETF activity, whether
they are explicitly sign something, are photographed, are
identified by RFID, have their names written down after they
stay something at a microphone or on Jabber, raise their hands
(presumably in the expectation of being identified), or can be
identified in some other way.  Of course, an acceptable
alternative to "no meetings in Germany or any other country with
the rules you suggest apply" would be explicit permission on
registration forms as a condition of attendance.  Or,
presumably, a Chair could make an announcement that anyone who
continues to sit in a particular room is giving permission for
such identification.

As Christian suggests, we simply have to be able to identify
participants in WG sessions, even silent ones, to have an open
standards process.

Again, I will strongly defend your right to privacy, absence of
identifying photography, etc.  Just do not simultaneously claim
that right and the right to participate in the IETF.

    john

--On Tuesday, 24 April, 2012 21:34 +0200 Martin Rex