Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Tue, 17 June 2008 18:43 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk
Subject: Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:44:33 -0400
Cc: 'Pete Resnick' <presnick@qualcomm.com>, 'John C Klensin' <john-ietf@jck.com>, ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

I fully agree with Debbie here.

Human experience teaches us that examples will
be used, over time. Foo.com is a commercial site. If the IETF uses
foo.com in email examples,
it is reasonable to assume that foo.com will get unwanted traffic
because of that. I think that
the IETF should not put itself in the position of causing avoidable
pain to others, even if the likelihood of serious harm is small. Since
there is a remedy, and it could be adopted readily, I think that the
discuss was reasonable and do not support the appeal.

Regards
Marshall