-outbound copying rights grant

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 28 March 2008 19:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:51:23 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Subject: -outbound copying rights grant
Cc: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

The agreement was to let the trust work out the legal details.  This
document is intended to tell the trust what we want, clearly and
unambiguously.  The current text is unambiguous.  If we start trying to
say that this or that specific license is a good starting point, then
they have to figure out what aspects of that license we mean.
I certainly would not want to try to tell the lawyers what possible
models there are to do their job.

Collapsing several other related notes:
No, I don't think that the agreement used for the code being written for
the IETF will work (NOSL 3.0), since it is not as broad as described in
this document.  (I do sometimes agree with Mr. Rosen.)
But I don't have any trouble allowing the trustees to do their job,
which will include determining what license is appropriate.

Also, I don't see any need to point to specific examples to get at
issues like "royalty free."  It is true that to meet the constraints,
and the reality of RFC publication, the IETF license grant will be
royalty free.  It's pretty hard to see how a license to permit anyone to
do anything they want with the source code can be restricted by payments
etc.

Remember, the state approach is for this document to state our goal, and
for the trust to achieve what we ask.  The goal is not for us to
shoehorn legal text into the outbound document.

Yours,
Joel