Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 23 January 2021 07:21 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 02:21:13 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
cc: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

--On Saturday, January 23, 2021 19:18 +1300 Brian Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed. The problem here is not whether incumbents are
> re-appointed, but why the pool of candidates lacks diversity.
> This is not exactly a new problem.

Well, I think we have three separate problems, none of which
require "I think Alice would be better than Betty" discussions...

(1) How we handle incumbents who are willing to enlist for
additional terms without discouraging people from volunteering
to run against them.  See my previous note for a pointer to at
least one way to mitigate the problem.  There are probably
others, but the IESG was not interested in a discussion in 2009,
so the topic dropped.  Perhaps conditions for the discussion a
better today, perhaps not.

(2) How we increase diversity in the IETF and, in particular,
among those who have whatever support is needed to stand for
leadership positions and become part of the candidate pool (and,
for that matter, part of the Nomcom volunteer pool and the WG
Chair volunteer pool).

(3) What advice we would like to give future Nomcom about the
relative importance of diversity in particular bodies vis-a-vis
picking people based on other qualifications for the relevant
positions.  I am firmly convinced that more diverse
organizations (and especially decision-making bodies) function
better and produce better results.  I have also seen the IETF
make what I believe were poor technical decisions because
everyone involved was used to very high speed networks with
substantially unlimited capacity and the very latest and fastest
local computers and other local equipment, a problem with which
a different type of diversity would help too.  But, especially
on the IESG where AD positions require specific technical
expertise and understanding my suspicion is that any simple
answer to the question of how to balance those requirements
against diversity if there is a shortage of the combination in
the IETF is probably wrong.

I do want to make a suggestion to complement Bron's.  Would it
be useful to create a repository for confidential comments to
the 2021-2022 Nomcom right now?  We could then encourage Rich
and anyone else who thinks the 2020-2021 Nomcom got some things
wrong and that we can do better to upload comments in as much
detail as they think appropriate now, while their thinking is
still fresh.  But we would treat that material as confidential
comments to the future Nomcom, using whatever degree of security
cleverness we think is needed to prevent anyone from reading the
comments until the new Nomcom Chair is appointed and the keys
turned over to them.

best,
   john