Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Tue, 18 December 2007 02:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:12:16 -0800
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
To: Ole Jacobsen <ole@cisco.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, iaoc@ietf.org, Bob Braden <braden@ISI.EDU>, iesg@ietf.org, IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce@ietf.org>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Subject: Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

> On the other hand: If we simply closed our laptops for the duration of
> the plenary and LISTENED to the speakers, perhaps even taking notes on
> paper (I know, a radical idea), would this really be such a terrible
> thing?

That's exactly what it would be: A terrible thing.

I routinely use my laptop during meetings to look up stuff relating to whatever
is being presented, chat with others regarding the presentation, and in many
cases to look at slides with print too small for me to see on the screen at the
front of the room.

And yes, I'm pretty good at multitasking so I also often check and respond to
email, write code, and do all sorts  of other stuff. (I can't recall ever
buying anything from an online store during a meeting but I would not hesitate
to do so if it made sense.) The unfortunate reality is that the information
density of PowerPoint presentations is typically so low that asking me to focus
on what's being presented is effectively asking me to waste half my time. (I
will add that some - but not all - IETF plenary presentations I've seen have
been notable exceptions to this rule.)

More generally, I've come to resent attempts by others to micromanage how I
work. In doing this you are in effect saying that you know more about what's
important for me to be doing that I do.

> I've attended meetings where we had a "closed laptop" policy during
> presentations, I can tell you that everyone agreed it worked much
> better than the typical
> "I'll-ingnore-this-boring-speaker-and-order-some-stuff-online-instead"
> model.

Yeah, somebody tried this at some meeting I attended a few years back. It
sucked so loud and hard that I flat out told the people whose came up with this
idiocy that under no circumstances would I ever attend another meeting that had
such a policy. And I was far from the only person who reacted so negatively.

Getting back to the actual topic under discussion, let me see if I've got this
straight: We're going to switch off the IPv4 network and force people to use
IPv6 during a plenary, a time when laptops are at maximum density and hence
wireless connectivity is most problematic?

I was unable to attend the last three IETFs in person so maybe something has
changed, but at previous meetings my success rate at keeping a wireless
connection going during the plenary hasn't been all that great.  This means
IPv6 issues are likely going to be conflated with wireless issues and heaven
knows what else.

Unlike some others I have no objection to performing such experiments but
I really have to wonder if the parameters for this one are well chosen.

				Ned