Re: Predictable Internet Time

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 04 January 2017 08:49 UTC

Subject: Re: Predictable Internet Time
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 09:49:35 +0100

Den 04. jan. 2017 00:32, skrev Philip Homburg:
>>> Time within the machine should be measured relative to its own temporal
>>> frame, but whenever we communicate with another machine we need to
>>> strive to be as close to UTC as possible - warts and all. Anything else
>>> - including and especially smearing - compromises *correct* behavior.
>>

>> ?So you are for sticking with IPv4 as well?
>>
>> Nothing can ever change because the ITU is in charge...?
>>
>> ?People are only in charge as long as other people let them. ?
>
> The 'obvious' solution is to make programmers, from operating systems all
> the way to application programmers, aware that there are different types
> of time.
>
> Most programmers should already know that there is a difference between
> local time and UTC. We need to extend that a bit.
>
> In particular, we need
> - a monotonic 'uptime' that can be used for local timers, etc. independent of
>   any external time source.

FWIW, the W3C has switched to defining time inside a Web page in two
segments:
- Page load time, which is UTC-derived (POSIX time extended to
milliseconds), and can jump when the system clock is reset
- Events related to the page load time, which has floating-point
representation, and is guaranteed to be monotonic.

DOMHiResTimeStamp and related specs make for interesting reading
(although you'll feel at times like you're lost in a maze of twisty
little definitions, all different).