RE: RFC 3066 bis Libraries list

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Mon, 12 September 2005 11:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:29:51 +0200
To: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>, ietf@ietf.org
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: ltru@ietf.org
Subject: RE: RFC 3066 bis Libraries list
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

At 06:38 12/09/2005, Peter Constable wrote:
> > From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
> > RFC 3066 Bis imposes new constraints on the existing language tags
> > software libraries.

Dear Peter,
whatever the way you want to say it, these libraries have now to meet
new specs they had not to meet before. I do not know if you already
developed some piece of software, but this means there will be more
lines of codes in RFC 3066 bis librairies and more possible bugs.
Please do not confuse constraints of accuracy and quality on the
libraries, constraints on the langtags, and constraints on the users
who would be now to accomodate for ever a non end to end
non-interoperable (except may-be in e-commerce) security leaking system.

Before approving a "BCP", and the whole IETF in not opposing the
Draft must investigate the supposed existing running code. To show
make sure that users are (will be) supported correctly. This concerns
for example the _added_ information (scripts), the way they address
"x-tags" private use, the filtering and negociatioin performed, or
langtags such as qac-qark-aa, etc. They must also know what are the
other libraries they could use. This is this much needed review I
plan since the WG-ltru neither considered it, nor considered
describing library validation tests. IMHO it is more positive than
biaised considerations over RFC 3683.

RFC 2026 talks about the need to consider the interests of all the
affected parties and of openness and fairness: I try to consider and
support them all in an open and fair practical way, hence the reason
of my call on this list, so every library can be quoted. As the most
knowledgeable and the leading person IRT that project, you should
help me and provide a list of all the librairies you know. The same
about the authors? Or is there a problem I miss?

jfc