RE: Last Call: <draft-mahesh-mef-urn-01.txt> (URN Namespace for MEF Documents) to Informational RFC

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 03 February 2016 15:18 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-mahesh-mef-urn-01.txt> (URN Namespace for MEF Documents) to Informational RFC
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 15:17:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.47]
Cc: "draft-mahesh-mef-urn@ietf.org" <draft-mahesh-mef-urn@ietf.org>, "barryleiba@computer.org" <barryleiba@computer.org>, "barryleiba@gmail.com" <barryleiba@gmail.com>

Hi,

This is a simple and useful document. I understand its need and I support its publication.

There is however one aspect that I believe deserves some discussion.

The second paragraph in the Introduction claims:

   > As part of these specifications efforts, there is a need to identify
   identifiers in a managed namespace that are unique and persistent.
   To ensure that this namespace's uniqueness is absolute, a
   registration of a specific Unified Resource Name (URN) URN Syntax
   [RFC2141] Namespace Identifier (NID) for use by MEF is being
   specified in this document, in full conformance with the NID
   registration process specified in URN Namespace Definition Mechanism
   [RFC3406].

However, the NID registration process described in RFC 3406 (section 4.3) mentions a couple of mandatory sections that are not included in this RFC as such:

   > The RFC must include a "Namespace Considerations" section, which
   outlines the perceived need for a new namespace (i.e., where existing
   namespaces fall short of the proposer's requirements).
   > The RFC must also include a "Community Considerations" section, which
   indicates the dimensions upon which the proposer expects its
   community to be able to benefit by publication of this namespace as
   well as how a general Internet user will be able to use the space if
   they care to do so.

Part of the information mentioned in RFC 3406 is present here, but there are no "Namespace Considerations" and "Community Considerations" sections.

It seems to me that we should either drop the 'full conformance" claim, or reorganize the I-D to include the sections mentioned in 3406.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan