Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 19 November 2009 08:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:19:41 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPR rules)
Cc: IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

FWIW, I agree with Brian.  Pulling this (waiting until the IESG
approves and only then filing the disclosure) on a media type
registration seems particularly egregious but is, in any event,
exactly the type of situation the IPR rules are intended to
prevent.  Like him, I believe that the IESG can recind its
action on this basis without having to go through the procedural
clutter of an appeal.  In addition, if an appeal were really
necessary, nothing prevents one or more of the IESG members who
believe that they would have acted differently had the
disclosure occurred on a timely basis from filing it.

     john

--On Thursday, November 19, 2009 15:13 +1300 Brian E Carpenter